10 random facts about Fiveadventurers
I was asked by the lovely Karen from minitravellers.com to tell you 10 things you may not know about me. So here are 10 very random facts about me, my adventurers and travel.
1. I married the boy next door. Doc and I met at University in Manchester and he lived in the house next door. Funnily enough, Doc lived less than 200metres from my house in Blackburn but it took a fire (another tale for another day) and university for us to meet.
2. Whilst on the topic of marriage/relationships, 2 out of our 8 wedding anniversaries so far have been spent in hospital. Our little adventurers Maya & Zayn arrived a day before and on our actual wedding anniversary in 2009 and 2013. Evidently, January is a good auspicious time for us 🙂
3. I can speak four languages as a fluent speaker. English was actually my second language and I can also speak Punjabi, Urdu and Hindi. Doc is also trilingual being able to speak English, Gujrati and Urdu. With all these languages flying around our little adventurers however, only speak in English (though i think a trip around South East Asia may rectify this!)
4. I love a bargain and in 2007, Doc & I travelled to Oslo for 1p return. That was our biggest holiday bargain and we absolutely fell in love with the gorgeous Norwegian city.
5. We came in the press in Malaysia in 2009. We had travelled to the top of Penang Hill (Maya was 6 months) and on the way down the tram broke down. We were stranded at about 500 metres above sea level and the estimated time to get back to the ground was said to be hours away. We didn’t have our baby bag and we needed to change Maya so we set off down the side of the track. 40 mins of walking along some of the dodgiest steps, crossing rail track we reached the bottom to be greeted by a host of press reporters. We stood out even more given that I had a 6 month old in a carrier!
6. Doc is called Doc as he obtained an EngD (Engineering version of a PhD) and is one of the world’s leading engineers in the field of jet engines and thermographic phosphors (I tell you the man is a genius).
7. I love reading children books. I genuinely believe in this saying about you growing old when you stop playing! I love reading Harry Potter, Enid Blyton and Roald Dahl. I cannot wait to read these with my children and show them magic is everywhere, if we only look!
9. My ultimate dream is to go travelling long term with my adventurers. We are part of this amazing world and we should strive to see all these things first hand. Not just as tourist (though this is fun too) but to go and explore each culture, ideally 12 to 18 months…
10. During our round the world trip I wound up in hospital in Rotarua, New Zealand and despite having been hang gliding, hot air ballooning, visiting Ayers Rock, water rafting, hiking Franz Josef glacier, I got injured from, wait for it….. falling in the bath.
So that is us! We love travelling and each other! We would love it, if you joined in and told us 10 random facts about you!